• Categories

• Archives

page corner bookmarks

This project comes to you at the request of Twitterer @GCcapitalM.

I used to believe that a person could never have too many books, or too many bookmarks. Then I moved into an apartment slightly larger than some people’s closets (and much smaller than many people’s garages) and all these beliefs got turned on their naïeve little heads.

But what a person can always look for more of is really cool unique bookmarks. Placeholders special enough for the books that are special enough to remain in your culled-out-of-spacial-necessity collection.

Page corner bookmarks are cute, practical and deeply under-represented in the world.* They’re easy to make, easy to customize, and will set you apart from all those same-same flat rectangular bookmarks. Corner bookmarks are where it’s at.

If you like this tutorial, here are a couple others that might be up your alley. First, try making paper plants as lovely, lasting handmade gifts. You can even stash some goodies or small presents in their pots.

If you’re loving the toothy monster vibe, check out these simple monster heating bags, filled with rice or wheat and entirely microwavable, to keep toes or fingers or tummies warm during the chilly winter months. If you want a monster you can wear, try making a cozy bug-eyed fleece monster hat or some fingerless fleece monster gloves.

For the monster-loving adults in the room, try some googly-eyed paper monster wine charms.

*This is probably no longer true, given the astonishing number of you who’ve found your way to this post and made your own page corner bookmarks. Go you! I’m fairly certain that something this adorable and functional can’t be over represented in the world, though, so just keep right on making them.

——————————————————————–

What you’ll need:

• pretty paper of cardstock weight OR a combination of plain cardstock and pretty, decorated lighter weight paper
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • mechanical pencil
  • glue stick
  • [optional] other decorating tools, such as crayons, markers, stamps, stickers, ink pads, embossing powder, etc.
  • page corner monster bookmark template  number 3. under “Paper patterns and templates” (or you can make your own using the instructions below)

——————————————————————–

Putting it all together:

Below, I’ll teach you how to make two similar-but-different types of corner bookmarks. The first is a square overlapped by a triangle , the second is a triangle overlapped by a smaller triangle.

If you are making your own template from scratch, follow all the steps below. If you’re using the PDF template linked to above, cut the pieces out and skip to step 5.

1) Ok, the very simplest thing to do is to cut a triangular piece off the corner of an envelope, and use that. Decorate it if you wish. If you want to get a bit more in depth, ignore the envelope method and move on to step 2.

2) On a piece of plain scrap paper, draw a square. Use your ruler so its sides are perfectly straight. Don’t make it too big – mine measured 2.5 inches x 2.5 inches, though you could go larger than that. Draw second square exactly the same size on the right side of the first square (so they share a side) and a third square exactly the same size on the top of the first square. You should end up with 3 squares that compose an L shape.

3) Using your ruler, draw a diagonal line across the uppermost square, from its top right corner to its bottom left corner. Scribble out the upper left half (now a triangle) of the square, as you won’t be using that part.

Next, draw a diagonal line across the bottom right square, from its top right corner to its bottom left corner. Scribble out the lower right half (now a triangle) of this square.

4) Cut out all parts of the entire shape that have not been scribbled out. This should be a square with two triangles attached to it, one on the top and one on the right. This is your template.

5) Trace your template onto your pretty piece of cardstock (or onto the plain piece of cardstock that you intend to decorate), and cut the shape out.

6) Using your ruler and the tip of your mechanical pencil with no lead showing, score a line (make an indent) along the edges of the square that connect to the two triangles.

• 6.5) [optional] Cut a square of pretty paper slightly smaller than the one you used for your template and glue it onto the square portion of your shape. I generally do this if the paper I’m using is quite plain.

7) Fold one triangle inwards, so it covers the upper half of the square.

8) Apply glue to the underside (the side still facing up) of the second triangle, and fold it over onto the first triangle.

• 8.5) [optional] As in step 6.5, if you’ve used plain cardstock and want to glue fancy paper on top of it, cut out a triangle of the fancy paper that’s slightly smaller than the folded-over triangles of the bookmark. Glue the smaller triangle on top of the larger, folded-over ones.

9) Add any decorations or illustrations you wish. Use by slipping over the corner of the page you wish to mark, like a pocket.

——————————————————————–

Now, here’s how to make a triangular bookmark, where the back is a triangle and not a square.

1) Follow steps 2 and 3 from above.

2) Use your ruler to draw a diagonal line across the remaining, center square, from its bottom right to its top left. Then draw another line, parallel to the one you just created but about 1/2 inch lower down. Erase the first line.

3) Extend the shape’s bottom line and the two side lines so that they meet up. You should now have a shape that looks like a castle flag: a rectangle with a triangular indent at one end.

4) Cut the shape out.

5) Trace the template onto your nice paper. Be sure to make a little mark on either side where the corners of the two outer triangles meet the inner triangle , and extend this mark onto the inside of your shape.

Cut the shape out. If you want a fancy bottom edge, cut that line with fancy scrapbooking scissors.

6) Now follow steps 7 – 11 from above, scoring along the appropriate lines, folding the two outer triangles in on top of each other, gluing them down and adding any fancy paper or other embellishments.

(I actually turned mine over at this point and folded it the other way, so the colours were switched. See below.)

EDIT: Here’s another take on monstrous page corner bookmarks, from another artist who thought it up completely separate from me, long before I even thought of thinking about doing this project or writing this post. Great minds, eh?

2nd EDIT: Many people have seen this blog post over the past months, and many have commented very kindly on it, and many have used the tutorial to make their own page corner bookmarks. A number of the links following the comments below lead to wonderful images of other people’s creative takes on this project. I wanted to post one image in particular here, which I take from the Priestthorpe Primary School Blog. There, a whole classroom of kids made their own page corner bookmarks, and they look fabulous! I love all the different personalities displayed.

Thanks to all of you who’ve shared your own page corner bookmark results, and all of you who’ve said such kind things about the project. It’s heartwarming to think about all the books around the world that are having their page corners nibbled at this very instant.

3rd EDIT: Yet more thanks to all the folks who continue to make use of this tutorial and post your own wonderful versions. Here’s another idea: This crafter decided to use small round stick-on jewels for the pupils, which I think looks great. The downside of course is that they protrude a bit, so your book won’t close flat, but if they’re fairly small jewels it shouldn’t be too bad. Stickers, sequins or paper buttons could also make great pupil substitutes.
Featured on:
Fun Family Crafts

Previous Post

753 Comments

1. This totally makes me giggle!! I love it.

I wish all my “book worm friends” hadn’t switched to the kindle!

2. that rly cool i like it

3. Bookworm

/  July 15, 2011

I love this! I’ve made about 30 of them and I’m going to give some away at the local library!

4. Catherine

/  July 16, 2011

Oh my gosh! These are way too cute! I am the reading specialist at my school, and will be starting a book club this year. How cute will these be for the kids to make?!?
    Thanks!!

5. These are so fun! I love the monster teeth. I’m tempted to do a zombie. Or a princess with redneck teeth. Oh, the possibilities are endless… {:

6. debi

/  July 16, 2011

Love this idea!! Kids will love these! Thank you!

7. I have been making page markers from envelopes for years. I only use colored envelopes to contrast with the pages of the book. I cut a square or rectangular corner from the envelope and then cut one loose corner on one side at an angle. When I stop reading, I orient the cut corner so it lies on the page where I want to start when I next pick up the book.

8. Humaira

/  July 17, 2011

Wonderful idea! They’re so easy to make and are such cute gift items! Thanks a lot for sharing! =D

9. These are great! Thank you for sharing! :)

10. I made a few of these a bit differently. Like the results, thank you for the idea! Direct link http://wantonlunacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-corners.html

11. Kristina

/  July 18, 2011

I made these with my kids and they had a blast. I have to admit, I too enjoyed making them even without the kids. We must have made dozens of them! I then shared the tutorial with their teachers who in turn decided to make it a class project for the end of the year to encourage summer reading. This was a great tutorial! Thanks :)

12. Jessica

/  July 19, 2011

This Idea is very cool and awesome! I love It!!

13. Those are the cutest. I will definitly be making these with my DS8 who reads like a madman. Great tutorial too. Once we make these, and I get the time to blog about it, You’ll get the credit. :) Thanks!
    I’d love it if you stopped by: DavisDomestications.blogspot.com

14. Okay, I have to make one of these! Thanks for posting this great tutorial.

15. Steph

/  July 23, 2011

I love this bookmark but I love your ring more! Where did you get it? Its soooo pretty!!!

16. admin

/  July 23, 2011

Lori, those are great! What a super idea, haha. Forgive me – I couldn’t resist. I’m a terrible person. I do truly love your idea, though.

Steph, the ring is a puzzle ring (though I’ve never figured out how to do it properly and consistently), where the bands come apart, all hanging from one bands. My boyfriend got it for me about four years ago. He actually bought it at a local toy store, though it’s a proper piece of sterling silver jewelry. I bet if you googled puzzle ring you’d find lots of places to get them.

17. karli

/  July 24, 2011

Four words: double-sided scrapbook paper. These are so cute!! I just made a bunch :)

18. Joana

/  July 27, 2011

These bookmarks look brilliant and seem to be the best way to keep my books tidy- and im still in school and if i bring in a book with one of your bookmarks i get atleast 1 happy comment a day- and someone once asked if i could make one for them.

19. Tk H

/  July 28, 2011

I made these with old Game Informer magazines for my boyfriend, who reads and plays video games much more than I do, and he still uses them today.

As for me, I use these mostly for my textbooks & notebooks. It’s so easy to color-coordinate which page is which topic, and the bookmarks hold up really well! ^^

Thank you so much for the tutorial.

20. Heh heh heh…cool idea :)

21. this is so useful ,I am going to make a lot for my husband now.

22. These are pretty cool. Nice work!

23. Ashley

/  July 31, 2011

These bookmarks are possibly the greatest thing I have yet to see on the internet. I truly enjoyed making them with my sisters and even though we’re all different ages (17, 13, and 7) we found your instructions helpful and easy to follow. Thank you so much and please know that you’ve got another fan!

24. http://www.nikefreemart.com/

These bookmarks are possibly the greatest thing I have yet to see on the internet. I shared the tutorial with their teachers who in turn decided to make it a class project for the end of the year to encourage summer reading.

25. Justine

/  August 3, 2011

Hey!
    I love this idea! It is fun and so easy! Great for a lazy summer day. My first one I made is a little crooked, but it all takes time and practice!
    Thanks a lot for your creativity, I will loooovvveee making these!!

26. Blythe

/  August 5, 2011

Too cool, I am going to use this with my scrapbooking.

27. These are the cutest bookmarks I have ever seen!

I run Fun Family Crafts, a site similar in nature to Craftgawker and Spotlight, but different in that it’s a library of craft tutorials geared only at kids. I would love it if you’d stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don’t post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

28. Kashif Gilani

/  August 8, 2011

Excellent.

29. rocky-alopage

/  August 9, 2011

lol it’s nice i will try to make one :D

30. rocky-alopage

/  August 9, 2011

lol it’s very nice i will try to make one too :D

31. jojo

/  August 9, 2011

Is there better creativity than this?

32. katherine

/  August 9, 2011

wow i am an avid reader and hate when bookmarks stick out all the way in the books i have kids that like to take them out and i constantly lose my place lol this is going to be a great way for me to keep my place marked thank you so much

33. i lovw these things. u r really creative!
    i think i wil try and make one if i ever find the patience. also, what i especiallylike about them is that, u can cup several pgs at once- i like to race myself when im reading. its like, a mental game..

so, again, thanks!

34. Cat

/  August 11, 2011

I just finished making a few of these and they are so cute! Thanks so much for this post! useful and fun to make!

35. phousecoat

/  August 12, 2011

Great craft!! You’ve kept my girls busy for the last 2 hours and they have created about 20 bookmarks. They have given one braces for their brother and created others with glasses, hair and freckles!!

36. Cera Fedding

/  August 12, 2011

Thank you so much! I’m a 1st grade teacher and my students love these!

37. They are very nice . I llike very much as a book lover. I want to translate this page to my native language that is Turkish.

38. Tina

/  August 13, 2011

This is SO adorable. It’s going to be a rainy day tomorrow. I’ll have to make these with the kids. Thanks!

39. kimberly

/  August 14, 2011

I really enjoyed making them!

40. harmony

/  August 14, 2011

i <3 this, im going to make soo many of these now, thank you!

41. Tommy

/  August 15, 2011

Omg this so cute and great for school cause it is like a monster eating their book. Also I bet you can make different animals if you think about it!

42. Wow,, I like your idea. Thank you for sharing.
    and I will try it at home.

43. I like your idea, and I will try it at home.

44. Lol

/  August 18, 2011

SOS tose arevamazing and real easy to do ive already have done 3 in les than 15 minutes, lub them <3

45. Samantha

/  August 20, 2011

Thanks for the idea! So far I’ve made a frog and a dog using your template. Thank you for sharing :)

46. Fanie

/  August 21, 2011

I love the idea! Tried this with fabric as a small sewing project! It’s a little bit bigger in the book, but still love it! Very easy to do!

47. heaven

/  August 21, 2011

i love these they are soo fun to make and create! and my friends love them to! :9

48. C’est super.
    Bravo.
    ;@)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

It’s great.
    Bravo.
    ;@)

49. Just Stumbled this – SOOOO CUTE!!

1. Book Recovery Project ;) « Andiebelle
  2. Book Recovery Project, Part I ;) « Andiebelle
  3. 5 fajnych zakładek do książek
  4. paper wine charms | I Could Make That
  5. Ideias DIY | Pearltrees
  6. libri nota « tabellavita
  7. Top 10 Pins « Runawayalice
  8. Crafts and Projects | Pearltrees
  9. Close the Books: Stressbusters for Library Nerds | The Very Important Patron
  10. Page Corner Bookmarks – Day 24 National Craft Month March 2012 | Fragile Earth Stuffed Animals Blog
  11. craft projects | Pearltrees
  12. virginia87 | Pearltrees
  13. Homemade Bookmarks « 100 Days Of Evelyn
  14. World Book Night America | Picky Girl: I read. I teach. I blog. (pickily)
  15. Signet marque-page monstrueux ! « La tête dans les nuages.
  16. Monster Bookmarks! | Bodies in the Library
  17. 15 Creative Bookmarks and Cool Bookmark Designs – Part 3. | Indoor Digital Billboards
  18. Random-Charm · Well, the spambots read my latest post
  19. Bookmarks! [2] « whY.A.not?
  20. סימניה לזוית הספר- יצירה לילדים « הזמנה ליצירה
  21. Cómo hacer marcapáginas originales | Disetto
  22. Summer Reading Ideas: Kids’ Book Nooks & Homemade Bookmarks
  23. Manic Monday: Bookmark Craft Ideas to Encourage Reading « « flower child au blog flower child au blog
  24. L’Invasione Dei Nani 3: inspiraaaare, espiraaaare. | Vendetta Uncinetta
  25. Segnalibri, 9 idee da stampare ritagliare copiare « labrochuese
  26. Christmas in July ~ 7 Paper Craft Gift Ideas | Meet Penny
  27. Pinterest! « Wildflowerz' Blog
  28. Marcapáginas “monstruosos” | bloglamariola
  29. Könyvjelző | Molyoló
  30. Is It August Already!? « weplaywelearn
  31. page corner bookmarks « Hellin et l’autre
  32. Bookmarks, i migliori amici dei libri | Sylvie Renault - Art&MultimediaDesign
  33. Bookmark Craft | flipping the page
  34. Como Fazer um Marcador de Canto para Livro | O Passo a Passo
  35. Page corner bookmarks | Ma réception
  36. 5 Cute Monster Crafts! | Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom
  37. Segnalibro ad angolo a forma di mostro | News di baby-flash
  38. making monsters | Tally's Treasury
  39. Monster Crafts & Activities
  40. Monster bookmarks…thank you GlenHill | Year 6B 2012
  41. monster bookmarks… | for reading, writing, thinking and sharing...year 6A 2012
  42. Bookmarks using the corner(s) of an envelope. | Just Some Broad