I’ve just finished another MtG plushie project that I want to share with the world. After 10 or 20 hours bent over the sewing machine, figuring out how to make goblin feet turn out right, one feels a need to brag a little and post an abundance of look-at-my-work photos.
Speaking of which, I figured out how to make goblin feet! And any kind of feet, really. So absorbed was I in actually doing this that I didn’t take any helpful how-to pictures, but I do plan to put up a tutorial at some point with some doll-making tips, and specifically tips for making hands and feet and such. It’s not particularly difficult at all, once you’ve sorted out how it’s done. In the meantime, here are my goblin feet. See, individual toes! I get excited about these things.
I also went out and bought something truly wonderful for this project: dollmaking needles. These needles are 7 inches long, and they mean that I can make the doll’s shoulder and hip joints moveable, as well as the knees and elbows. Again, these are the sorts of things that make me gleeful and giddy.
A Goblin Lackey of course requires his chained-prisoner outfit, which I made out of felt. The helmet is easily removable, the vest is technically removable but a bit more difficult to get off. His britches or loincloth or whatever exactly they are have been sewn on, because lack of hips really wreaks havoc on a creature’s ability to keep their pants from falling down.
Below are a couple of late-in-the-process progress pictures, with various limbs waiting to be stuffed, and of the Goblin Lackey before his visit to the Wardrobe Department.
As you can see in the photo below, crooked and mismatched eybrows – agh! Had to pick his right one out and restitch it (as seen in this post’s previous photos, they ended up much better matched).
The limbs are all ball jointed so they can move. I used needle felted wool balls for the joints, just like with the Perilous Myr. I prefer this over wooden balls – although it means extra work doing the needle felting – because it keeps the doll that much lighter, and means there are no hard, un-squishy, un-cuddly bits. And ultimately, he’s really just a strange, big-eared teddy bear.
NOTE: Should anyone be wondering, I am still planning to post the pattern and the tutorial for the Perilous Myr, for those wishing to try their hand at it. It’s a big project to write a tutorial for, though, and I keep tweaking the pattern (and learning new things and tweaking the pattern even more), so it is still on its way, but with no exact promises as to when.